The monastic establishment came into being in the seventeenth century. It was founded by on of the daughters of Vasile Lupu Voivode.
The present-day church building was constructed in 1835 with the blessing of His Eminence Metropolitan Veniamin Costachi - through the persevering efforts of Father Ghervasie, a monastic, of the brothers Gheorghe and Ioan Prosie, and of Vasile Piovici. The wooden belfry and the Metropolitan Residence date from the beginning of the nineteenth century.
The remarkably beautiful wax paintings inside the church were executed by the renowner painter Nicolae Tonitza (who was assisted by his students, among whom was Corneliu Baba, who would become a renowned painter as well) within the years 1936-1937.
Up until 1835, the holy eatblishment had been a female monastic community; afterwards, the female resident monastics left for the Varatec Monastery, and the establishment was transformed into a male monastic community. In 1959, the monk were driven away on the orders of the communist authorities and the monastery was dissolved, being transformed into a parosh church a year later. and subsequently, into a skete.
In the year 1974, following a public convenience contract, the skete was forced to concede tweenty-four monastic outbuildings (which had formerly offered lodgings to the resident monastic on the premises), as well as the adjacent lands, to the Travel Office of the County of Neamt. The monastic houses and a small wooden church building (that dated from the sixteenth century), which had been placed in the cemetery and which had been actually brought from the Ceahlau Mountain, were pulled down. Oddly enough, tourist villas were constructed on the location and the cemetery had to be removed.