The monastic establishment was founded by Carstea Ghenovici, a former high-ranking magistrate at the princely court at the time, and by his wife, Anghelina, around the year 1490. Two centuries later (more precisely in 1686), another high-ranking magistrate Gavrilita Costache (who was the foundersí grandson) had a church building erected on the location of the earlier one. The construction of the church building was completed by Gavrilita Costacheís sons in 1694. The paintings inside the church building were executed by master-painter Mihail.
His Eminence Metropolitan Veniamin Costache and his relatives took the monastery under their protection, and subsequently dedicated it to the Holy Mount Athos. In 1802, since the church building had been severely wrecked by a disastrous earthquake, Reverend Archimandrite Nil ordered a start to be made on the construction of another church building (which is still on view today), as well as of the belfry tower.
At a later time, in 1863, the holy establishment was closed down, and after 1864, the monastic assets were confiscated, and the monastery was transformed into a parsh church. The construction of the church building, which had been begun by Reverend Archimandrite Nil, was completed in 1883. Worthy of note is the tact that the appearance of the church has not undergone any alteration since then.
In 1980, the Abbotís house was taken over by the Departments of Domestic Affairs, and the Floresti Rural Hospital was accommodated within the monastery groung.
The former monastic life of the holy establishment was revived in the year 1991. Immediately after that, work commenced on the consolidation and restoration of the monastery through the good offices of Hieromonk Ezechil.